Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The End Begins: Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows


We watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 on Saturday. The movie got me nostalgic and wanting to read all the books over again! I recalled having a mixed feeling while reading the last book: I was dying to know the ending yet I couldn't bear to finish the book. And true enough, I was rather depressed when I flipped over the last page.

It's the same mixed feeling I have now for the Harry Potter film series. I can't wait to catch Part 2 of Deathly Hallows in July but it's so sad to know that there's just one part left and there will not be any more Harry Potter films or books to look forward to.

The first novel Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was released in 1997 and the movie in 2001. Gasp! I can't believe I have been following the books and films for over 10 years! Harry Potter must be the longest film series I have ever watched. It's so amazing to watch the characters actually grow up in the movies like how they did in the books. Daniel Radcliffe was 11 when he acted as Harry Potter in the first movie and he's 21 now.

Never mind that the movies felt disjointed. Even the author herself understands that it is simply impossible to incorporate every detail into the film which has to be kept under 2 - 4 hours. Reading the books first before watching the movies is highly recommended and you can do the connections yourself when the scenes jump too quickly or abruptly. And besides, isn't it fun to watch the movies like you have seen them before, in your imagination?

No comments:

Post a Comment