Wednesday, April 24, 2013

DIY Owls baby mobile

Here's a confession. I didn't think my baby boy will pay much attention to a handmade baby mobile. Well, there won't be any moving stuff nor music or flashing lights. But I just went ahead and made one because I thought making a mobile is fun for me. lol. Thus I was pleasantly surprised when Zachy boy actually showed quite a bit of interest in it. He will stare intently at the hanging ornaments and get amused by the swinging mobile when he hits one of the ornaments. See, my boy love it! 



Hee, if you like to make one too, read on!

Materials used: 6 felt ornaments, ribbons and thread, 1 brown paper wire stick, glue gun


First of all, decide a theme for your mobile and think of what you like to have on it. I decided on a night theme for Zachy boy's mobile and sewed 3 felt owls, 2 felt stars and 1 felt moon. To make these cute little owls, check out this tutorial. You can download the pattern for the felt owl from the website too. I glued a small piece of ribbon at the top of the ornaments and created a loop (for easy hanging). I used mainly blanket stitch to put these felt ornaments together. This tutorial is really helpful if you like to learn how to sew blanket stitch and how to start and end it.


Now twist the wire stick into a circle and secure the ends together with the glue gun.


To make the top part of the mobile, loop 6 strands of thread through the wire stick at equal interval round the circle.


Holding all 6 strands of thread up, tie a knot at the centre. Divide all the strands of the thread into two parts, make 2 braids with them and end the two braids with a knot to create a small loop (for easy hanging again).


Now just tie all the felt ornaments onto the circular wire stick and the baby mobile is completed!


Linking up with: 
new button

3 comments:

  1. Omg those owls are sooooo nice. You should just sell them. Hehe. Small babies love mobiles, dun need sound and light yet. Ariel love those above her changing pad too!! Great job, girl and thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to tell you that this owl mobile of yours is the nicest mobile I have ever seen.

    Maybe you can consider making more and selling it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mobile. I am searching for a pattern and I thought thats what you were giving pattern for owls and moon an stars...........Love it

    ReplyDelete